Have you ever wonder how does that alternative, vegetarian pizza base tastes but was kind a scared to try yourself? Well don’t worry! I experimented on myself! Must tell you – tastes absolutely great! and would never even tell that it is made from cauliflower.
I decided to give a try to this alternative pizza as a) cannot eat any bread products nor any yeast products so pizza is out of a question. (Living in Italy does not help you to resist the temptation). So I decided to give a try to this vegetarian pizza base myself.
All you need is 1 cauliflower, 100g almonds, an egg, some 100 g cheese, food processor and some patience. The last one you will need a lot.
When cauliflower is clean and divided in small florets – put them in a food processor and blend/ grind till you have rice-like mixture. (as mine was too small for the whole cauliflower to fit in, I just divided in half).
This is what you should get. Meanwhile put boiling water in a pan – around 4-5cm and once boiling add the cauli-rice and cook for 4-5 minutes.
Meanwhile take your ground almonds and blend them till you get them in a tiney pieces. just like your rice.
Now the trickiest part.
Cool it down. Put it in a strainer press out excessive water with a spoon, then transfer to a clean,cotton dish towel. Wrap it up and start squeezing out all the water. Squeeze. Squeeze and squeeze some more till you get dry cauliflower.
Don’t be surprised that it remains little. It should be this way.
Next step is to combine in a large bowl cauli-rice, almonds, pinch of salt, some oregano, grated cheese and an egg. Mix them well using your hands till you get a good mixture.
I added some parsley for a taste as well.
Then you just mix it well. Fold it together ( Don’t worry! It will stay together) and press on the baking sheet.
Put it in a preheated 200C (400F) oven for 40-50 minutes till it gets golden.
If you wish to transfer into a pizza afterwards just take it out, add your desired ingredients – I added some grilled chicken and olives but for my husband’s homemade tomato sauce, olives, chicken, and mozzarella of buffalo.
However the wet combination makes pizza crust soft as absorbing all the liquids so will not be able to take by hands, but my option was perfect!
Tastes great! a lot less calories than regular pizza and keeps you happy and satisfied afterwards! what else you can wish, huh? Also nice as just a snack.
For your commodity – her is a downloadable and printable recipe!
- 1 cauliflower head
- 1 egg
- 100 g ground almonds
- 100 g soft cheese
- pinch of salt
- pinch of parsley
- Blend the cauliflower florets in a food processor till you get rice-like mixture
- Bring boiling 4-5cm of water and bring the cauliflower rice to boil for 4-5 min.
- Cool them down.
- Meanwhile take your ground almonds and blend them till you get them in a tiney pieces. Just like your rice.
- Put it in a strainer your cauli-rice and press out excessive water with a spoon, then transfer to a clean,cotton dish towel. Wrap it up and start squeezing out all the water. Squeeze.
- Don't be surprised that it remains little. It should be this way.
- Combine in a large bowl cauli-rice, almonds, pinch of salt, some oregano, grated cheese and an egg. Mix them well using your hands till you get a good mixture.
- Fold them in a baking pan lined with a baking paper with hands in a desired shape of your pizza.
- Put in a preheated oven for 40-50 minutes till golden brown.
- Decorate as you wish to make it as a pizza or eat just like that!