Hello in this hot Wednesday! Milan has been having the craziest hot wave ever that just kills your mood to do..well anything. Luckily office is fully equipped with a/c – working a/c, so being productive at least during my working hours! Unlike my gym, that has been without it already for a week and I must tell you – it’s crazy! Taking shower felt like going in sauna that you need a shower after a shower, but it’s been too hot for too long already that just the power is going out for all the cooling systems running everywhere office, restaurant and cafeteria in the zone.
I went to gym and was thinking, “wow, so little people”, but than I realized why.. I was tired and exhausted from crazy working schedule and long hours working and the feeling under the weather and mentally tired so getting in a hot gym without an a/c working when outside is +35°C was NOT motivating to work out at all, BUT dedication is doing what you have to do you want it or do not to obtain your goals, so what I did? I got changed and went for a work out anyway.
As it was so hot in there and doing heavy, physical exercises is not good when is too hot, as it is bad for your health (increase pressure and lower your potential of workout for 50% therefore went with a slower pace and included more stretching exercises instead of crazy HIIT or cardio session and did supersets in a slower pace.)
Today I wanted to remind you guys why stretching is important, because I have seen how many people are just skipping it and jump right to the workout, so here is some benefits of stretching that might make you consider doing it.
Here are some of the main benefits of stretching:
For Your Body
- Helps improve flexibility (increases your range of motion)
- Assists in correct posture by lengthening tight muscles that pull areas of the body away from their intended position (because of so much time at our computers, many of us have tight chest muscles which pulls the shoulders and head forward, leaving us with a hunched shoulder look)
- Potential to decrease injury by preparing muscles for work before activity
- Increases blood and nutrient supply to muscles, thereby possibly reducing muscle soreness
For Your Mind
- Even a short amount of time (10-15 minutes) of stretching can calm the mind, provide a mental break, and give your body a chance to recharge
- Classes like yoga or pilates offer you a chance to spend an hour releasing tension physically and mentally
To get the most out of the stretching you do, here are some suggestions:
Skip the Pre-Workout Stretch
Your muscles should be warm before you begin your stretching. Do a warmup before a workout that simulates the movements you’ll be doing in order to warm up and prepare your body. Stretch after the workout when your muscles are already warm.
Focus on the Muscles That Need the Most Help
Instead of trying to stretch your whole body after every time you exercise, focus on a key area of the body each time. Spend longer on each stretch and include more stretches for each area. If you are aware of muscles that are tight, then focus on those ones.
Tips by Lydia Di Francesco who is a certified Personal Trainer and Nutrition and Wellness Specialist. (Check here out on Facebook).
Moreover even stretching makes you sweat crazily these hot days, but I am determined to finish my #journeytosplits challenge by Bogilates and see how good I can perform splits by the end of the month. I am at 2nd week and Still do not see a big progress, but determined to keep going and keeping my split diary and next week will write about my progress.
What about you? Are you stretching before and before workout?